Think like an engineer,Ã‚Â explore the skills engineers use every day andÃ‚Â discover the variety of careers on offer with an engineering background. Gallery recommended for students aged 11 to 16.
Engineer Your FutureÃ‚Â presents a series of interactive experiences based on key engineering skills used by real-life engineers. We hope that students will develop the sense that engineering is something they might be able to do themselves.
Research has shown that most young people believe science qualifications only lead to a narrow range of jobs such as scientist or doctor. This exhibition positions skills-based games and films with examples of real engineers whose exciting careers will affectÃ‚Â all our lives. We believe this can widen students’ perception of people who use science in their work and expose them to a range of STEM employers.
WHAT CAN STUDENTS DO IN THE GALLERY?
- Play Rugged Rovers: design a space rover that will travel the furthest across a challenging alien landscape full of jumps, boulders and slopes. Can they problem-solve and beat their friends’ creations?
- Test the brain’s ability to think about the big picture: play a game to build and test systems inspired by some seriously complex engineering, from electrical grids to rail networks and baggage handling systems.
- Watch our short We Engineer film to find out how engineers make the best even better at some of the countryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s most hi-tech test labs.
- See cutting-edge engineering test models on display.
- Play FutureVille to explore a city of the not-too-distant future and meet the women and men who engineer in places you wouldn’t expect, from hospitals to Hollywood.